Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DIY project No. 1: Fabric Flowers



I've decided to finally try to complete a DIY project that I started almost 3 weeks ago.

I do think of myself as crafty. I crochet, quilt, sew... I even know my way around a hot glue gun...I think. In honor of spring I have decided to make about two dozen fabric flowers to attach to my bridesmaids' invitations.

This morning the FF and I went down to the fabric district, and bought a yard of fabric, and a yard of tulle.

Things I forgot: felt, buttons, beads and hot glue...It was a little overwhelming for me.

So this is the basic idea:
{100 Layer Cake}

Directions according to Lanie on 100 Layer Cake:
1. Cut out several squares of fabric in descending sizes to make the various layers. Your largest circle should be about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and the rest should be about 1/2″ smaller. This will vary based on how full you want the flowers to look. More layers, more full.
2. Round the squares off into circles. Don’t worry about getting them perfect as they will melt down unevenly anyway.
3. Slowly rotate the circle about 1 inch from an open flame. Go slowly as the edges start to melt. Get closer to the flame for a more dramatic edge effect.
4. For a modern flower that is more flat, only burn the edges slightly. For a more ruffly and girly look, hold the flower at both edges and slowly bring the middle of the fabric to the flame.

Here are some other DIY fabric flowers that I considered. Enjoy!
{100 Layer Cake}

{Wedding Bee}

{Maize in Montana}

{Primrose Corner}

{Once Wed}

{Birds of a Feather}

Let me know if you try any of these. Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails